Monaco last made a huge impact in the Champions League 10 years ago when they reached the final of the competition before eventually being beaten by FC Porto.
They are in a position to repeat those achievements as they are very close to reaching the semifinals this time around. Monaco will be up against Juventus in the quarter-finals. This is comparatively a much easier tie for the French club, as they have avoided the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Barcelona. Due to this respect, striker Dimitar Berbatov reckons that the club can start thinking about a semifinal spot this season.
Berbatov was initially signed as a backup for Radamel Falcao, who joined Manchester United in the summer on a loan deal. As a result, the former Tottenham and United striker has been starting regularly up front. Even though manager Leonardo Jardim has primarily made this team successful by building a strong defence, the goals from Berbatov have been very useful. The 34-year-old has not won the Champions League in his career, but he does have nine goals in 32 appearances this season. Only one of them has come in the European competition.
“The Champions League semifinal is within our reach.We can do it against Juventus. We’re a good team, we’ve already shown that both against Arsenal and a week ago in Turin. We absolutely did not deserve to lose. In the first half we should have had a penalty, if the referee had given it, it would have been a different game. Then in the second half we had a non-existent penalty given against us, but that’s football. We look forward with confidence and optimism, we’re preparing well for the comeback,” said Berbatov. The first leg will be away from home in Turin followed by the home leg on the return.
As.Monaco outclassed Arsenal earlier in the month of February as the French side ran right past Arsene Wenger’s men with a scoreboard of 3-1. DimitarBerbatov played a big role in this triumph as he scored a goal.
This match played a big importance for both teams as it was their Champions League last 16 first leg match. The 2nd match is scheduled to take place on March 17 but Arsenal has a big disadvantage as they have fallen behind in the scoreboard by 2 goals.
Berbatov is now being rumored on having an interest in making a return to the Premier League as the result that his team secured when playing against Arsenal has sparked a string of rumors linking the Bulgarian forward with a return to the league where he used to perform in a few years ago.
According to DimitarBerbatov, one of the main reasons on why Arsenal sustained their 3-1 defeat was due to the Premier League club being just way too predictable on the pitch which made things much easier for As.Monaco.
“To be honest, we were not surprised. Arsenal has very quick players and when they go forward they leave a lot of space at the back. We knew that and we had prepared well and took advantage of it. We knew their weaknesses and we exploited them and I think everyone can agree that we deserved our win. Our team is very young but very talented. It is not only about age but about class. If you prepare well and do what your coach says, you can see the result. We believed we could do something. This is for everybody.”As.Monaco’sDimitarBerbatov said.
The former Manchester United player is 34 years old but even at his fairly elevated age, he still manages to score goals as the Bulgarian attacker has proved that age is just a number and it’s not affected by class which is permanent. Even at his age, Berbatov would still receive offers from clubs in the Premier League but it depends on whether or not he decides on making a return to the top tier English league.
Berbatov might not be the same player he was a few years ago, but he still has a few more seasons left in him before taking up the option of hanging up his boots.
After having made over 50 appearances as a player of Fulham, Berbatov opted to make a move to As.Monaco. It was a huge change not only in club but also in country and league as Berbatov went from playing in the Premier League to joining the French League.
Dimitar Berbatov did not have any experience playing in the French League prior to joining As.Monaco but it not stop him from making a move to what was a new playing style for the Bulgarian attacker.
The veteran forward and former player of Manchester United has now revealed that it actually wasn’t difficult on making a move to such a different league as he was eager and in search of something new.
“I was looking for something new. When Monaco contacted me, I spoke about it with Patrice Evra, one of my very good friends, and he said good things about the team. I know Ricardo Carvalho . I played against him in England so I don’t feel like a new player. In fact, it was easy for me to choose. It is a great team. It is a new adventure.”’’ Berbatov stated.
Berbatov was originally viewed as a short term replacement for Radamel Falcao as the Colombian forward signed for Manchester United and even prior to joining the Premier League club, Falcao was suffering from injuries and this is why Berbatov was brought as a way to fill in the boots of the Colombian attacker.
On May 16 of the current year Berbatov signed a one year contract extension at the club and it remains unsure if he will be turning into a more consistent and regular player for the French team taking into consideration that Radamel Falcao is on the wish-list of Louis van Gaal and the Dutch manager of Manchester United could sign Falcao on a permanent deal instead of having him only on a loan contract.
Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim says that the fight for the Champions League last 16 qualification will go to the last group match.
Monaco qualified for the Champions League after spending vast sums of money on players like James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao. Even though most of the high-profile signings have departed the club in the summer after budget cuts, they continue to remain in the Champions League group stages. They were given a fair chance of reaching the last 16 due to the group not having many top contenders like the Bayern Munich or Barcelona.
Even though Monaco have had just one win in the four matches up until now, they sit second in the table and it will be enough to see them through to the knockout stages. Bayern Leverkusen remain the overwhelming favourites to win the group, as they hold a four-point advantage over Monaco. The fight for the final qualification spot will go to the last match according toJardim. There have been a lot of rumours thatJardim could be sacked before Christmas after four run of form has left the club several points away from qualifying for next season’s Champions League. Zenit St Petersburg and Benfica are the other teams in Monaco’s Champions League group.
“It was a very even match, just as it was two weeks ago. Both teams had chances and Benfica were more clinical. They scored and we didn’t manage that.At this moment Leverkusen have an advantage given the points they have but it’s a very tight group. All four teams will be fighting to qualify until the end.Benfica are back on track. As I said, if they didn’t win they would be out; as they won, the fight will be until the finish,” said Jardim, whose team next take on table leaders Leverkusen.
Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim has said that the club are targeting a good start to the French league season in order to stand chance of winning the title. The club finished second last season under the management of Claudio Ranieri. However, there were several points behind eventual winners Paris St Germain.
Even though they were promoted only in the previous summer, Ranieri paid for this disappointing result with his job. Jardim has been appointed in his place. Even though Monaco have not been spending a lot of money like in the last few transfers window, their squad is thought to be one of the strongest in the French league.
Paris St Germain remain the overwhelming favourites to win the league title once again, but Jardim says that they can upset the odds by starting the campaign in a positive fashion. Monaco has had pre-season during which they have beaten the likes of Arsenal in friendly matches. Further, the return of Radamel Falcao, who has been injured for the last six months, will only help matters. Dimitar Berbatov is also present at the club should Falcao decide to leave for Real Madrid in the last moment. Ahead of the season opener against Lorient, Jardim says that the club wants to have a positive start to the campaign.
“We have worked hard for six weeks to be ready. We want to start with a good game on Sunday. I know who will play. Falcao is not 100 per cent yet but is ready to be included in the group. The team is confident after the six friendlies. We do everything to have a good quality of football. My style of play is to have the ball go through the sides playing very compact. I also like that my press team the opponent very high,” said Jardim.
Leonardo Jardim has been appointed as the new manager of AS Monaco and the first thing that the club fans are expecting him to do is to prevent James Rodriguez from taking an away transfer.
Rodriguez was bought by Monaco last summer at a big transfer fee of 40 million Pounds and the Colombian justified his price tag by producing the goods regularly for the club.
He kept his good form going in the World Cup in Brazil too which put him on the radar of a number of clubs around the world.
It’s certain that Monaco would be receiving some lucrative bids for him in the next couple of weeks. It’s interesting to see how Jardim copes with all that and if he manages to make the talented playmaker stay in France or not.
Monaco had performed reasonably well in the top tier of French football last season and had ended up at the second position, but, despite that, the club board decided to replace the manager Caludio Ranieri with Jardim.
So, it’s clear that the owners want glory and Jardim has been brought in just for that.
Jardim was with Sporting CP last season and he did a good job there. But, the scenario in France will be different from that in Portugal. The standard of the game will be a little higher.
This is the first time that Jardim is going to manage a big club. In the last 10-12 years, he has been in charge of small clubs like Camacha, Braga etc. and he has mostly had one year tenures. But, at Monaco, he would like his stint to be much longer.
Jardim is one of those managers who never played the game themselves at a competitive level.
French club Monaco have announced that Leonardo Jardim has been appointed as their new manager following the release of Claudio Ranieri towards the end of last season. The former Roma and Chelsea manager was sacked from his first after the failure to win the league title. This was seen as hasty decision from the club after Ranieri had just led them to the top division only last summer. Now, Monaco will be focusing on the future after appointing Jardim as their new manager. He comes with a wealth of experience after having recently been the manager of Sporting Lisbon.
The 39-year-old has signed a new two-year contract that will see him remain as the manager of Monaco until 2016. After announcing the news, Monaco stated that he has the experience of being in the top competition and that would help Monaco challenge for titles in the future. Jardim stated that his first job is to start speaking French. He is expected to be handed significant transfer funds – just as his predecessor Ranieri – to end the domination of Paris St Germain in the French division. This is likely to be a threat for Dimitar Berbatov’s place in the team. The former Manchester United man arrived on a free transfer in the January transfer window.
“I am very happy to work for Monaco as it is a big club. I fully believe in this project and I think that this group can go far. The first thing is to start learning to speak French. I have been taking lessons for a few days now, it is question of respect towards the supporters, and the people of Ligue 1,” said the manager. “He is a manager who has obtained excellent results with all of his previous clubs,” said Monaco’s vice president Vadim Vasilyev.
Former Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that he will be returning to White Hart Lane in the summer in order to play in a testimonial match for the Ledley King. Former club captain Ledley King announced his retirement from the game a few years ago due to regular complaints with his knee. He has been working as the club ambassador for the last few years. After having served the club since becoming a professional player, King was due a testimonial. It is set to be held in the summer. Some of the best Tottenham players from the past including the Bulgarian Berbatov are set to be present for this match.
Berbatov played with King for a couple of years before moving onto Manchester United for a then Premier league record of £ 31 million. He represented the Red Devils for a few years before joining Fulham. After again a couple of years at the London club, he has joined Monaco in the January transfer window. His next destination is currently in major doubt given that his contract with the French outfit runs out at the end of the season. He has expressed his desire to stay, but the club are willing to offer him only a one-year contract.
“I am really forward to returning to White Hart Lane to play in Ledley’s testimonial. It is a fitting tribute for a great player and I can’t wait to meet up with some of the past and present players. It should be a great night not just for Ledley but for the fans too,” said the striker revealing his intentions to be part of the testimonial match. It has also been heavily rumoured that Tottenham are looking to sign the player, who represented and scored several goals for a couple of years.
Former Manchester United and Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that he is looking to follow the footsteps of Eric Cantona in entering into movies once he finishes his playing days.
Former United legend Cantona surprised everyone by becoming a Hollywood star after ending his playing days. He was one of the finest players witnessed by Old Trafford and many expected him to enter into football management or even ownership. The Bulgarian striker recently completed the move to Monaco in a deal worth around £ 2 million.
He had been playing at Fulham for the last few seasons, but as with every other club in the past, he appeared lost and disinterested in the last few months. Since joining Monaco, he appears to have found the interest back again. He has contributed for the club since joining in the January transfer window. Even though they are looking unlikely to win the French league title, it will still be a commendable achievement to qualify for the Champions League next season. The 33-year-old, though, does not have a long-time left in football, but he already has lined up a new career.
Berbatov has stated that he has always been a man looking to do different things with his life and this will not be different in the next stage of his career.
“You know, I’ve played the way I play all my life, I try to do different things, beautiful things, to play the game the way I see it and I think I’m doing it pretty well. To have a comparison with Eric Cantona is not fair because he was a great player for Manchester United – the goals he scored, the way he put his collar – he was really cool. And then he goes to movies and I am a big fan of movies as well, so when I finish with football I will definitely try to be part of some movie,” said Berbatov.
Former Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that he is loving life in Monaco after managing to start regularly due to the absence of striker Radamel Falcao.
Berbatov was signed from Fulham for a nominal fee towards the end of the January transfer window. His contract was up at the end of the season and Fulham decided to cash in on the player, who had not been performing well up until now.
The move to Monaco, though, seems to have reinvigorated the Bulgarian, as he has been an important player for the club in the last few weeks.
He has scored three goals in just six matches for the French outfit, who are now outsiders for the title after managing to challenge PSG for most of the campaign. They have fallen 10 points behind the leaders with only a handful of matches remaining in the campaign. This has been primarily attributed to the absence of Falcao, who came to the club win a £ 50 million deal in the summer. The striker has been injured since January because of a ruptured cruciate ligament. Berbatov has not only been scoring for Monaco, but he has also been assisting as well.
“The team is young and will still keep growing. To be part of this project is something very exciting for me. There’s lots of talent in the team and it’s only going to increase in the coming seasons. My integration was very easy because I was so well received,” said the striker, whose first-team position could be in danger once Falcao returns from injury. The striker has been expected to return just before the World Cup, although it may be until next season that fans will get to see the best of the Colombian.
For now, Berbatov remains as the number 1 for the French club.